Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 06-28-2016, 04:27 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Never seen this on bowling ball black oyster kick

Found this kick a while back and was thinking about picking it up, but haven't made a decision yet..I contacted seller to find out if price is negotiable.The reason for asking that is because i see something that doesn't look right to me, and that is the rail consolette in the center of the kick, but it's a blue/olive badge, which i'd never seen from that era before..Usually a rail mount would be to the left of the kick (when seated behind batter side), or it would have a diamond plate, indicative of 70's era.. So my question is, does this look like it was added later, or is it original ? All thoughts appreciated..

cheers,
Rob

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-batterie-perc...ationFlag=true
Old 06-28-2016, 05:14 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Never seen this on bowling ball black oyster kick

That center location for the consolette is the placement used for the Jazzette (18" bass) although that looks like a 20" with arc spurs. It might have been requested centered. Here's my 69/70 Jazzette:

If they have the upper part of the consolette it should be the toothed tilter style and not the index (round disk with holes) style. That would be period correct. But with Ludwig it pays to never say never. The more 60s-70s Ludwig drums you see the more variation in specs you note.

Paiste 602/Sound Creation research click here
Which K Stamp? A DIY tool click here
Old K prices and weights click here
Avedis Zildjian gallery and timeline click here
Old A prices and weights click here
Old 06-28-2016, 07:40 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Never seen this on bowling ball black oyster kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenstat View Post
That center location for the consolette is the placement used for the Jazzette (18" bass) although that looks like a 20" with arc spurs. It might have been requested centered. Here's my 69/70 Jazzette:

If they have the upper part of the consolette it should be the toothed tilter style and not the index (round disk with holes) style. That would be period correct. But with Ludwig it pays to never say never. The more 60s-70s Ludwig drums you see the more variation in specs you note.
It's a 22" as it has 10 lugs and 20's usually have 8..And i totally agree with the Ludwig anomalies.. We're always seeing weird things popping up from time to time.. The kick doesn't look tampered with, so it may be a customer request.. I think the titler may have been lost a long time ago, but i can't be sure.. Anyway i still think that $350 is a good deal for this kick.. I was thinking of picking it up to possibly put together a "jellybean" or miss matched 70's kit, which i think would be really cool..
Thanks for the info, and .. super nice kit btw !