Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > General Drum Questions

Old 03-26-2018, 05:51 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Game of Thrones...

Has any drum or hardware company ever actually made a truly well constructed non-cast metal throne base? I believe it should have a larger diameter ( 1 1/2") down post with a seat base made to swivel and height adjust without a clamp but locking into place, possibly a ball-socket arrangement. Bass drum pedals,tom mounting systems, cymbal tilters all have progressed to a very high standard. The throne is the left-behind bastard child of the drum set. ALL the high-end thrones use the CRAPPY...yes CRAPPY acme-thread white-metal clamping system which is...dare I say it...CRAPPY. And the 3/8" bolt through the down tube is 1920's technology. A 3-legged stool is more secure than most high-end ($150+) thrones. Make a good throne will you!
Old 03-26-2018, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Game of Thrones...

I don't know what any of that means, but what's wrong with something like a Roc-N-Soc? They're built like tanks.

Currently looking for a 3-ply 24x14 Ludwig in champagne sparkle w/rail consolette and cymbal mount!
Old 03-26-2018, 01:15 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Yeah....what the heck was all that? LOL!

+1 on Roc-N-Soc

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Old 03-26-2018, 04:57 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Look at...analyze the components that make up a modern high-end throne. An acme-threaded cast-metal post clamped with cast-metal clamps and often a cast-metal ring with a steel t-bar screw to hold the acme threaded post in place. My contention, and you can agree or not, is balancing a person on a seat with a cast-metal base on a 1" post is not the best, or even a good method of making a high-end throne. Pot metal is JUNK...prone to wear,stripping ,cracking etc. Now, I personally own the brand of throne mentioned above and it is heavy, no doubt. And it has not failed,but I don't tour like the old days. the seat pad is very comfortable.But it could be constructed much, much better for little money at the factory. Steel components would be a HUGE improvement.