Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Cymbals

Old 02-05-2018, 11:55 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Zilco by Azco

This is for the guys that hunt for these...

https://reading.craigslist.org/msg/d...483721830.html

John

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Old 02-06-2018, 07:00 AM

Default Re: Zilco by Azco

Quite a few of those CDN, zildjians in my neck of the woods. Nothing wrong with them and they are generally cheaper than the same era USA made Zildjians.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:12 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Cool Re: Zilco by Azco

A pic from the ad for the archives...

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00c0c_1MWtf2fy5cM_600x450.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	116346  
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1954 Rogers Classmate 4x13 snare
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
Old 02-06-2018, 08:01 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

What is the relationship between these and the cymbals that Rogers sold under their own name?
Old 02-06-2018, 09:41 AM

I still have my FIRST set of Zilco 14" hats medium/heavy purchased new when I was starting my first band in 1972. Every time I dust them off and play some Classic Rock tunes on them it brings me back...!!! I was once offered a lot for them but can't seem to part due to sentimental value...
Old 02-06-2018, 03:11 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Boucher View Post
What is the relationship between these and the cymbals that Rogers sold under their own name?
Dan - I believe that there is no difference. 'Zilco' was just a model name, like the Rogers. Both were manufactured by Azco and like their Japanese counterparts, they would simply add whatever company name was contracted for that part of the production run. There may have been different specs required by each sub-contractor, but they were all made by the same people, same alloys and equipment at Azco. Same company, different names stamped on the product. I 'could be' wrong, but I think this is the case.

John

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm

Last edited by Purdie Shuffle; 02-06-2018 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

One of the nicest ride cymbals I have is a 22" Canadian Azco Zilco. That era has very flat-tapered bells and a distinctive profile. The 16" you just posted from Craigslist is from that same era (probably 1970s). The 22 I have is very low-pitched with a sweet, clean sound. I believe they were unhammered, just lathed.

I believe that Rogers contracted a variety of manufacturers. There's a nice-looking Rogers Azco up on eBay right now - I've been tempted.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:43 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdie Shuffle View Post
Dan - I believe that there is no difference. 'Zilco' was just a model name, like the Rogers. Both were manufactured by Azco and like their Japanese counterparts, they would simply add whatever company name was contracted for that part of the production run. There may have been different specs required by each sub-contractor, but they were all made by the same people, same alloys and equipment at Azco. Same company, different names stamped on the product. I 'could be' wrong, but I think this is the case.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardbat View Post
One of the nicest ride cymbals I have is a 22" Canadian Azco Zilco. That era has very flat-tapered bells and a distinctive profile. The 16" you just posted from Craigslist is from that same era (probably 1970s). The 22 I have is very low-pitched with a sweet, clean sound. I believe they were unhammered, just lathed.

I believe that Rogers contracted a variety of manufacturers. There's a nice-looking Rogers Azco up on eBay right now - I've been tempted.
As hardbat mentions there are two distinct types of cymbal produced by Azco. One type tends to have differently shaped bells and appears unhammered. The other type has the usual bell shape for Avedis Zildjians, and appears hammered in the A Zildjian style of that production era. The two types have been documented for 25 years. They are mentioned in Pinksterboer's 1992 The Cymbal Book p150.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinksterboer
The name Zilco was used again later on, for cymbals that were made in the Canadian Azco factory from 1968 to 1970 and from 1976 to 1979. There were two types. One was a second-line Zildjian, the other was a thinner cymbal that was not hammered.
I don't know why there is a hole in Pinksterboer's years from 1971-1975. Were Zilco not in production? Was the Azco factory full time producing the made in Canada A Zildjians in the gap? When exactly were the Rogers in production?

Alas, Pinksterboer doesn't give photos of the two types and doesn't indicate if the trademark stamps were different. I've tried to distinguish between the two on my site but I don't yet have enough examples recorded to be able to correlate the two different types of Azco cymbal with what trademark stamps were used and who was intended to be the retail seller. Were both sorts labelled Zilco by Azco? And what about the other AZCO Canada stamp I've documented which has a font like the SABIAN lettering? Where does that fit in?

Any evidence to help elucidate the differences is much appreciated, especially if we can replicate the year differences which Pinsterboer gives for the two types...if he really meant the widely separated year differences in his book, and he meant that these are two distinct types produced in two distinct ears. As happens sometimes with his work, the meaning isn't always 100% clear.

Paiste 602/Sound Creation research click here
Which K Stamp? A DIY tool click here
Old K prices and weights click here
Avedis Zildjian gallery and timeline click here
Old A prices and weights click here

Last edited by zenstat; 02-06-2018 at 07:50 PM. Reason: full quote and further elucidation