Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > General Drum Questions

Old 02-10-2018, 11:53 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Aquarian bass drum heads

[QUOTE=longjohn;427438]I currently have a SK1 on my 24" Slingerland.... same deal I bought a slightly used one cheaply to try out.. It's replacing a Power Stroke also..

I like the sound & the band are happy with it too... so give it a shot.. for 15 bucks you can't go wrong.

Yeah i know, for $15 it's practically giving it away !
i'm gonna try it out and hear it for myself !

cheers,
Rob
Old 02-11-2018, 12:50 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

I had a Super Kick 1 on a 20" Club Date bass drum and it sounded fantastic!
....I've current got a SK1 on a 22" WFL bass drum and although it gives it a nice low end, there just isn't enough punch out of it for me.

I am also a "Remo guy" deep down.. but I will say that to me, Evans EMAD bass drum heads sound the best and most versatile over all other brands I've used. They come with a thick and a thin muffle ring and you can also take it out and have it wide open.

"People might look at you a bit funny, but it's okay. Artists are allowed to be a bit different."- Bob Ross

"After silence, that which comes closest to expressing the inexpressible is music..." - Aldous Huxley
Old 02-11-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewkowski View Post
I had a Super Kick 1 on a 20" Club Date bass drum and it sounded fantastic!
....I've current got a SK1 on a 22" WFL bass drum and although it gives it a nice low end, there just isn't enough punch out of it for me.

I am also a "Remo guy" deep down.. but I will say that to me, Evans EMAD bass drum heads sound the best and most versatile over all other brands I've used. They come with a thick and a thin muffle ring and you can also take it out and have it wide open.
Same here. I use Remos on everything except the kick. Ambassadors, Ambassador Xs, Ambassador suedes. For some reason the Emads without the foam inserts just sound better on kicks.

Also, using a beveled maple beater at slightly off-center vertically, (Tommy Aldridge model Danmar beater) really gives me the best sound.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180211_092715[1].jpg
Views:	10
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	116513  

Last edited by Mo Tonkie; 02-11-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:15 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Tonkie View Post
Same here. I use Remos on everything except the kick. Ambassadors, Ambassador Xs, Ambassador suedes. For some reason the Emads without the foam inserts just sound better on kicks.

Also, using a beveled maple beater at slightly off-center vertically, (Tommy Aldridge model Danmar beater) really gives me the best sound.
Thanks Mo, I may give that beater a try and see how I like it. You really can't go wrong with an EMAD!

"People might look at you a bit funny, but it's okay. Artists are allowed to be a bit different."- Bob Ross

"After silence, that which comes closest to expressing the inexpressible is music..." - Aldous Huxley