Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 07-10-2018, 09:57 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Drum Companies and Their Worst Ideas

In fairness to Ludwig the rivetted seam wasn't really an idea someone came up with as something "new and improved" but rather an unfortunate attempt to fix the vexing problem of the new drum wrap they were using shrinking and pulling apart at the seam. They were kind of grabbing at straws trying to fix it. Bill Ludwig Jr. thought about civil war era drums that had tacks on them and his engineering staff "refined" that idea into rivets. They did their best to hide them in the promo materials so I suspect they knew it was a bad idea from the get go.

Gretsch made the mistake of continuing to use outdated stands and hardware well past when all the other companies had followed Rogers lead and dropped the standard W & A designs and come up with their own unique hardware which grew increasingly robust...except for Gretsch who kept using the antiquated W & A designs until the early 80's.

More recently Ludwig brought back the flat back Imperial (their high end lug design) and then put them on drums they called "Club Dates" with all the "low cost" baggage that name carries (not that they were bad drums). It's like if Ford had brought out their re-issue GT-40 cars of 10 or so years ago and introduced them as the new Ford Taurus. Ludwig could have built the very same center lug drums but just made up a new name "Imperial Clubs", "Imperial Classics", whatever.

Some of the products mentioned above were just plain dumb but a lot of them are just matters of taste, for every drummer that thinks it was a dumb idea there's another one who loved that holder/stand/shell/head/snare/etc. etc.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:38 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumBob View Post
Peavey's drums that looked like empty spools.
As funny as they looked, those original Peavey drums sounded great...

MY Dirty Little Collection
Old 07-12-2018, 01:05 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Gretsch and its #4925 Monster Double Tom Holder. Ugly, bulky, awkward and weird.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:07 AM

The new Akira Jimbo 35th Anniv Signature snare... the rope?! Come on...

The fact Yamaha cut all their finishes down to like 12 for their Absolute line several years ago
The limited range of finish options on all Yamaha series of drums
Totally agree about the modular mounting system on those Ludwigs, bulky and ugly af
And the riveted seams! Gross.
Ludwig's QC in the late 80's... I scored a 10x8 tom on ebay to re-wrap which ended up being a 10x8.7" depth shell :/

Last edited by russticles; 07-12-2018 at 02:11 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:20 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

I am not comfortable with purple.... are other colour ropes available? and is there sufficient length of rope supplied to enable some nautical knots... Eg... a wetter sound... ? sorry but WTF??

Cheers
Old 07-12-2018, 10:40 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Some drums that are super-collectible now (Trixon Telstar and Speedfire for example) are collectible simply because they came from a time when there were a lot of experimental ideas that were as much visual art as they were musical instruments -even though some of the ideas never really made great sound(subjective) -they looked cool(subjective).

I used to lust over the Ludwig Octa-Plus kits of the 70's when I was a kid. I must have run that string of melodic tom toms in my mind a million times! Now, you can't give those things away!

Premier Resonators were pretty crazy, too, btw.

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Old 07-12-2018, 11:00 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

I think the rope is a great idea, just think of all the possibilities. Suppose your belt breaks, you have something to hold your pants up, your kitty has a new toy, you can tie it around your head to keep the sweat away from your eyeballs and my personal favorite, cut it in small pieces and tie them to your fingers so you don't forget that new song that's in an odd time signature.

Last edited by johnnyringo; 07-12-2018 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:39 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Surprised nobody has mentioned North drums yet.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Oh Ludwigdude already blasted North drums back on page 1...I would offer this to the haters... North drums are certainly impractical, and not a good replacement for a traditional kit in most situations, but let’s say you wanted to do a live version of a Dr. Seuss musical, or you need a visual to explain what it would look like if a tuba mated with a drum set, or if you get a gig at an acoustic death metal festival deep in the woods where there is no power...for these and many other situations, North is the clear choice.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:28 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Maybe you should had been on their marketing team.