Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 07-10-2018, 12:41 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Drum Companies and Their Worst Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig-dude View Post
Yamaha's system wins no prize for elegance in the looks and sound department either.
I actually really like Yamaha's mounting system, particularly the YESS mounts. The ball and socket offers great flexibility, and the hex rod means it won't slip or rotate. I have some Yamaha's that have the bracket bolted onto the shell. I've taken it off, filled in the holes, used a suspension mount and used a YESS arm. Still holds great and sounds resonant. I'll take the look of a Yamaha tom arm over a Pearl style tom arm any day. Even on a very expensive, top end Pearl kit, those arms and mounts just look so generic.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Although functional, Sonor put super fugly black plastic, claw-free, hoops on their Sonic Plus drums. The tom height adjustment was a goofy design too, but the shells were typical great sounding German birch, and the way the tom suspension mounts and the bass feet went on to external lug screws was pretty cool.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:07 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I can't be the only one who hates using the drum key on old Rogers drums for everything..
Yeah, I love the Swivo stuff but ever drop one when setting up?
PITA!!
Old 07-10-2018, 04:48 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC View Post
Light weight hardware......
In 1991 I used Tama backline hardware for a gig in Sweden.
The new light weight Tama cymbal stands would bounce away from me every time I crashed a cymbal.
They'd have moved a foot in one song!
Show me a man who doesn't like lightweight hardware and I'll show you a man who has roadies

Golden Curtain
www.myspace.com/garagelandnz
Old 07-10-2018, 05:38 PM
8upwithit

Arbiter Autotune drums. (The first ones, from the late 70's) They looked like eggs with hose clamps on them.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:42 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ploughman View Post
Rogers Series II.....
with composite shells and plastic lugs and horrible performance. Most didn't even arrive to the end user without being a disaster. I have never seen a complete set. They broke. it was like Popcorn in a microwave . Cost them millions. It might have been a success, but corporate changed the formula of the plastic. It drastically reduced cost and raise the profit margin significantly. On paper. In practice, it was a disaster.
Similar to the Ludwig Combo snare drum.....plastic shell that warped with any semblance of tension on the heads, not to mention the breaking of the plastic lugs under similar circumstances.....not 100% sure, but the Combo outfits were regular wood shells, but I think they originally had the plastic lugs as well.....but I could be wrong on that one. The snare was definitely all plastic shells & lugs.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:43 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Another Ludwig faux-pas would be the original production run of the Acrolite snare drum....the one with the seam and textured shell......those aluminum hoops were horrible. Again, any real tension on them and they'd bend like butter......LOL!
Old 07-10-2018, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

BUT, I think the 90's Arbiter Advanced Tuning drums are a different story, at least the snares. I have a 12" snare that is built like a NASA project and sounds fantastic. The one lug tuning is more than a gimmick on those.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:23 PM
8upwithit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Toast View Post
BUT, I think the 90's Arbiter Advanced Tuning drums are a different story, at least the snares. I have a 12" snare that is built like a NASA project and sounds fantastic. The one lug tuning is more than a gimmick on those.
I agree. Just that the original ones were uglier than homemade sin.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, they looked like the giant mayonnaise jars from Costco.