Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Cymbals

Old 05-10-2020, 09:23 PM
Contributing Member

Default Original 60's Paiste Giant Beat wax coating?

Hi,
Been years since I have been here. Does anyone know if Paiste used their wax/lacquer coating in the 1960's on their Giant Beat cymbals to protect them from oxidation? Not sure. Anyone? Phil Cormier Leominster, Ma 01453
Old 05-10-2020, 09:53 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Original 60's Paiste Giant Beat wax coating?

I can't say for sure if the 60's Giant Beat cymbals had that coating. Let's see if any others here may know about this.

-Mark
Old 05-11-2020, 06:22 AM
Contributing Member

I used to have an early pair of 15" Giant Beat hats (very Bonham-sounding - why did I sell them....?)

I always wondered why they remained in such shiny condition, despite obvious use - perhaps they'd retained the factory coating?
Old 05-11-2020, 07:43 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

They were lacquered and that's what's supposed to protect them from corrosion. But the problem comes when the lacquer wears out from playing. The best way to deal with it then is to remove all the old lacquer with lacquer thinner. After that clean the cymbal thoroughly with Brasso. Follow that up by ceaning it with parts cleaner, and finally follow that with glass cleaner. Then dry thoroughly. Finally then spray the cymbal lightly with fresh lacquer being mindful that you don't want to overdo it because you don't want any drips. And if it does drip then you'll have to wipe it all off again and clean it starting with the parts cleaner step and all the rest that follows, and finally a do over with the lacquer.

Is that clear?

It's quite simply really. And if you're not an expert with the lacquer spraying, then after you suffer through enough complete do overs, then you will soon find yourself becoming increasingly focused and full of purpose. And by degrees you'll find yourself becoming an expert at lacquer spraying. That is of couse assuming that you don't commit suicide first.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:39 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Maybe first try it without the finishes, It might act better. But if it get's arrested or something, lacquer it up.

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Old 05-11-2020, 08:42 PM
Contributing Member

Hi,
Thank for the response back. I would not use Brasso! It could break down the alloy! It is 92 percent copper not brass. Maybe the cream formula of Barkeepers Friend would work! Or the Paiste cymbal cleaner followed up by their cymbal protector! Phil Cormier Leominster, Ma 01453
Old 05-11-2020, 08:42 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumaholic View Post
They were lacquered and that's what's supposed to protect them from corrosion. But the problem comes when the lacquer wears out from playing. The best way to deal with it then is to remove all the old lacquer with lacquer thinner. After that clean the cymbal thoroughly with Brasso. Follow that up by ceaning it with parts cleaner, and finally follow that with glass cleaner. Then dry thoroughly. Finally then spray the cymbal lightly with fresh lacquer being mindful that you don't want to overdo it because you don't want any drips. And if it does drip then you'll have to wipe it all off again and clean it starting with the parts cleaner step and all the rest that follows, and finally a do over with the lacquer.

Is that clear?

It's quite simply really. And if you're not an expert with the lacquer spraying, then after you suffer through enough complete do overs, then you will soon find yourself becoming increasingly focused and full of purpose. And by degrees you'll find yourself becoming an expert at lacquer spraying. That is of couse assuming that you don't commit suicide first.
Brasso can ruin a cymbal if you don't know what you are doing. Staining in the fine lathe work is too hard to clean out.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:04 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWindows878 View Post
Hi,
Thank for the response back. I would not use Brasso! It could break down the alloy! It is 92 percent copper not brass. Maybe the cream formula of Barkeepers Friend would work! Or the Paiste cymbal cleaner followed up by their cymbal protector! Phil Cormier Leominster, Ma 01453
You'll never be able to polish out that Copper huge to it with that percentage. Why was Paiste so cheap ?

Old 05-11-2020, 10:07 PM
Contributing Member

Hi,
Thanks for all your opinions! Phil Cormier Leominster, Ma 01453
Old 05-11-2020, 10:11 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I have a full set of "Bonham" 60s Paiste Giant Beat "white font /label/logos",
NONE of them had the coating on them,
I store mine in cymbal safes with SKB pads between them to protect them,
IF i want to clean them i ONLY use paiste cymbal cleaner.