View Single Post
Old 11-11-2015, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Re-habbed the drums, now ready to sell. Tips? What guarantee to offer?
Read you loud and clear guys. Thanks for the word......here's my wording for eBay. Any thoughts? D.

VINTAGE 1972 SLINGERLAND MAPLE DRUM SET WITH ORIGINAL HARDWARE $1200
This is the real deal. 1970’s era Slingerland drum set with original hardware including Slingerland “Relaxon” drum throne. Highly desirable 3 ply construction of maple/mahogany/maple for that wonderful wood tone (think drum sounds in vintage Chicago recordings). Set includes classic Buddy Rich set up of “one up, 2 down” toms.
This set was extensively rehabilitated. In recent years I have enjoyed the art of restoring classic drums.
This set includes:
Snare: “Buddy Rich” 10 lug chrome over brass 5X14 inch snare. As you can guess, sound you only can believe by hearing. WOW factor.
Toms: 13 inch mounted (with original Set-O-Matic tom mount), 16 inch floor tom and rare 18 inch floor tom (with 4 legs). All toms have authentic Slingerland 1970s logo top heads
Bass: Large 24 inch bass with massive fat sound.
Original early Slingerland 1970s era Buddy Rich style top-of-line hardware includes:
Buddy Rich “Rocket” snare stand
Buddy Rich “Dynamo” 3 leg hi-hat stand with authentic hexagonal clutch
2 heavy duty boom cymbal stands with counter weights
Classic “Tempo-King” bass drum pedal
Authentic “Relaxon” drum throne
This is NOT a museum piece that requires white gloves and a panic if you dent the finish, but instead, a players set that has the road wear you expect from a set that was road gigged since the 70s. So look closely at the pictures and email me with any questions. Using the incredible experience of the drummers on the Vintage Drum Forum, the set has been extensively rehabbed according the guidelines established there. I am very pleased with the results of this labor of love.
The entire set was stripped down to nuts and bolts and rehabbed from the ground-up. Owner will provide buyer with photo essay taken during each step of the re-hab.
The outer shells of the bass and toms were re-sprayed with 7 layers of clear poly by a professional cabinet maker. There were a fair amount of scratches, stains and dings from being on the road. While some road wear is still evident, the shells are now protected and will easily last another 30 years. The most trying step in the re-hab was the bass drum. The inner ply of the bass drum had some serious lifting/separation issues. I was too fussy to just glue-down and leave it, so I had the inner ply professionally re-glued with sheet mahogany. It is now reconstructed to LAST! See pictures.
All rims, lugs, T-rods, claws and all hardware chromes were painstakingly cleaned and polished by hand. There was a fair amount of pitting and some light surface rust, but the restoration techniques recommended by the Vintage Drum Forum has returned the chromes to like-new shine. Where chromes were too rusted or pitted to use, authentic period-correct Slingerland parts were searched, bought and used for the rehab.
As you can guess, my investment goes well past the money. I considered keeping the set for myself, but I have 2 others. So I have brought the set to a point where I feel it’s desirable and sellable. As you can see from the pictures, admittedly there is still room for cosmetic improvements. For example, the arms on the Set-O-Matic tom mount (they’re clean and polished but indented from multiple tightening), or tom legs that aren’t so worn or bass drum claws with better chrome finish. With the vast availability of original Slingerland parts at modest prices, those are items you may wish to take on yourself.
No cymbals.
So, the set is clean, solid and ready to play. I will deliver up to 75 miles radius from the Lancaster PA area. From Philly, Wilmington and Baltimore, I will meet you half way. Only too glad to send you more pictures or answer any questions. Just ask.