View Single Post
Old 02-15-2020, 08:47 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Cymbal Ink and the Evolving Understanding of Weight

First up the 22" weight ranges from LuvMyLeedy which are still in use. I had a close look and I can see how they were constructed. The ranges use a 10% range for each weight class, so construct a +5% and -5% range around the midpoint. This is approximate because the ranges are chosen to reflect "nice" numbers.

BTW the +5% and -5% fits with my other research on what the coefficient of variation actually is for specific models, and for the A Avedis series where the "official" target ranges are known.

Looking at the counts of cymbals in different weight ranges by production era we can see the pattern of weights stepping up a bit across the decades. The 2013 column marks the cymbals after the 2013 reset to the design.

How much of the move towards the heavier categories in the weight ranges is due to specific heavier models? MEDIUM THIN and MEDIUM both moved up a weight class between the 50s and the 60s/70s. By the 80s MEDIUM was straddling Medium and Medium Heavy. But this needs a note of caution because there is MEDIUM ink on a 50s cymbal which is also in the Medium Heavy category on weight. Also it looks like THIN stayed THIN.

The PING model moved from Medium weight class in the 50s to Heavy Weight Class by the 70s. I mentioned before that PING didn't mean what most people think it means (Heavy) when they first came into use.

HEAVY RIDES and EARTH RIDES come into the Ex. Heavy weight class, as does the DEEP RIDE (including the reissue ones from the 90s). There is a LIGHT ride in the 80s which is in the same weight range as a MEDIUM RIDE. It looks odd to see them in the Heavy weight class in the 80s, but that may be clarified when we see what the 20" cymbals were doing. I have many more of those in my sample because there are lots more 20" sales than 22" sales.

Can we use the same Weight Class ranges in looking at K Zildjian cymbals? Yes they do seem useful. You can see the weight rises from Old Stamp to Intermediate Stamp to New Stamp. Then with the New Ks the weights increased. Specific models are shown for those. You can also see how the K Constantinople series has brought the weights back down into Thin, Medium Thin and Medium.

All of this bodes well for further analysis of all the other diameters being worthwhile. I have a lot more 20" and 18" data then 22" so we should learn more and have a better picture. But first I need to solve the problem of generating "nice" weight ranges for other diameters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	22-counts-by-era.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	129856   Click image for larger version

Name:	22-K-wt-classes.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	129857   Click image for larger version

Name:	22-weight-ranges.png
Views:	41
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	129858   Click image for larger version

Name:	22-wt-classes-by-era.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	129859  

Last edited by zenstat; 02-15-2020 at 08:57 PM.