Thread: mystery cymbal
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2019, 02:18 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: mystery cymbal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddBall View Post
So it's made to look and sound like an old bell with new cymbal ?
No. It is not made to look like, and sound like, an older bell with a dark patina. It a raw unlathed bell and up close it looks completely different, and often feels different to the touch than old lathed and finished bells.

When struck the unlathed and unfinished area tends to sound very dry and different and affects the overall sound and definition of the cymbal.There are plenty of cymbal models available these days from most of the manufacturers that are made using various versions of this technique. Sometimes the unlathed and unfinished bell area is extended out, sometimes it's in a band further down on the cymbal, and sometimes the entire cymbal is unfinished an unlathed. My son and I once owned a 22" Bosphorus Turk model that was completely unlathed and unfinished.

Here is a cymbal from Meinl with the bell and surrounding area unlathed and unfinished, and a completely unlathed and raw cymbal from Turkish. The raw texture of the unfinished part varies depending on the manufacturers intent. Sometimes the unfinished area looks and feels rougher and sometime it looks and feels smoother.

While I was a bit surprised you're never seen any cymbals using this technique before, you did say that you were not a cymbal guy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	@3412_ff5f69c6bf7382bd25a6229af9c7e6a6-1180-1180.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	126110   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	126111  

Last edited by BosLover; 07-04-2019 at 03:07 PM.