View Single Post
Old 03-08-2018, 08:50 PM

Send a message via MSN to landofahhs Send a message via Yahoo to landofahhs
Default Re: That modern kit must have
I'm a vintage owner, probably only because I have always been poor and have placed utilitarian use above collecting or bragging rights throughout my life. I've always spent as much as I could humanly afford for the best things to fill my 'voids' or needs whether it was my drums, a guitar, a car or just an easy chair. I know many would probably disagree, but as the saying goes the high price of excellent quality will always out weigh the low cost of poor quality...so vintage or new my advice is just get the drums YOU believe are the best for your bucks or the one's your heart, hands and ears love. Leave the bragging or nit-picking to those that feel it is important to them and use your best instincts, don't let others be overly influential....Don't take me wrong, you are using a good process by educating yourself and asking questions. Just beware of letting someone else make your decision for you. Let your heart, mind, hands and ears be your final absolute guide and you'll never regret your choice(s). By the way, whenever I've ever seen and heard a great musician play in a local workshop, community college or on a local small stage often they end up using equipment that is available rather than their own stuff. Without exception, regardless of make, age or component type, they've always impressed me and made some of the crumbiest equipment 'sing'. i.e. a good violinist doesn't need a Stratovarius to play or sound good...not to say they wouldn't sound great using the Stratovarius BUT would anyone's ears be offended if they heard a performance on a Yamaha violin? A good musician can make a tin can rock, ...Many years ago I saw a drummer (Think his last name was Mancini) playing with Maynard Ferguson do an entire solo using a beat up cowbell while using the beat up college set at a college in Knoxville. I'm not saying purchase a tin can, LOL....guess I'm saying this is a very subjective area and you are best being happy with whatever you buy and use based upon your own good judgement rather than letting others be too influential. YOU have to be happy and if YOU try to put too much emphasis on what the experts say then YOU are beginning a journey that may lead to some harsh frustration. You have to be satisfied and happy before pleasing the public. You can't go wrong that way.