View Single Post
Old 05-01-2019, 09:32 PM
Contributing Member

Default Re: 14 and 6/8ths of an inch Cymbal???

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenstat View Post
Does the old Premier catalog page you attached come from somewhere on VDF and sister sites? I've seen a few Premier examples but not that one, so I'd be interested to know the source. BTW, the Zinjian pictured is Italian (UFIP) as best we can tell.
(Probably mentioned this before but while I do play drums (for free) my real gig is as a history teacher (and trained researcher). That means I get at least some of my @#$%& and giggles from research. If I'm into something I'm going to learn as much as I can about it.)

Besides this family of websites, I like these two:

drumarchive.com

vintagecymbalguide.com

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that drummers started to get picky once HH stands started to show up in the 1928 catalogs. It did, however, take some time for most folks to get on the same page. My assumption is that younger players adapted sooner and almost universally while older player likely stayed with what they were familiar with at least for the early years.

These are three catalog scans from Premier and Ludwig's 1928 catalogs (there are no HH stands in their 1927 catalogs) plus one from 1932.

They show that in all terms everybody was figuring out what worked best. TAKE NOTE OF THE FACT THAT ALL THREE CATALOGS SHOW DIFFERENT CYMBAL CONFIGURATIONS.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1928 Stand Premier.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	124958   Click image for larger version

Name:	1928 Stand Ludwig.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	124959   Click image for larger version

Name:	1932 Stand Premier.jpg