Vintage Drum Forum

Vintage Drum Forum (http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/index.php)
-   General Drum Questions (http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   ear plugs (http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=62477)

MME 05-16-2018 11:34 AM

ear plugs

I do not play any loud music anymore,just country and big band ,
no amps.just a small pa for vocals.My question is,where can I find a ear plug that at least looks normal,not one of those bright yellow or orange one you get at a Motorhead concert.I got teased a lot for having ear plugs but did not have the ringing for days after a show.It saved my hearing in the long run.ThanksMatt

Mo Tonkie 05-16-2018 11:51 AM

Re: ear plugs

I used the bright yellow ones, but I know there are skin colored ones out there.
The best thing I did was use a small mixer & ear buds instead of using a monitor. You control the volume and you can hear everything better than with plugs. You can also run a click to your mixer that way.

TheElectricCompany 05-16-2018 01:39 PM

Are you in the US? If so, go to Walgreens or CVS and they'll have flesh tone earplugs in the ear/hearing section.

8upwithit 05-16-2018 02:38 PM

I'll trade a little ribbing for having my hearing back any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. Tinnitus is a *****.

sksmith2500 05-17-2018 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8upwithit (Post 433109)
I'll trade a little ribbing for having my hearing back any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. Tinnitus is a *****.

Agreed!!!!

Drummer21 05-17-2018 03:51 PM

Double agree on ear protection I am paying the price with tinnitus every moment that I am awake irunaboxfan on high-speed to fall asleep at night

8upwithit 05-17-2018 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drummer21 (Post 433137)
Double agree on ear protection I am paying the price with tinnitus every moment that I am awake irunaboxfan on high-speed to fall asleep at night

Your world is never silent, is it?

Drummer21 05-17-2018 10:12 PM

Almost never I try to mentally block it off as best I can

8upwithit 05-18-2018 07:59 AM

Whenever I mow the lawn, use any kind of power tool, or basically do anything that's louder than a normal conversation, I use earplugs. Otherwise, everything starts to sound like broken glass in my head.
On the bright side, I do like the way my drums sound thru earplugs and muffs....kind of pre-eq'd.

Gilnar 05-18-2018 08:27 AM

I use Etymotic plugs. They are cheap and work great - they don't so much muffle the noise, rather they just turn it down whilst retaining all the tonal qualities (they just take a bit of the hiss outta my hih-hats).
The only regret I have is not getting them earlier - I already managed to damage my hearing a bit and I'm way too young for that - and forgetting to take them with me to that WW2 re-enactment thing... I'm probably gonna hear the echoes of my submachine gun forever... :(
Protect your ears!