Vintage Drum Forum

Vintage Drum Forum (http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/index.php)
-   Restoring Vintage Drums (http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Showing off my freshly detailed Powertone (http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=65460)

kdg 11-25-2019 07:10 PM

Showing off my freshly detailed Powertone

4 Attachment(s)
All Original with no fade or rust. Every piece was hand polished, screws were cleaned and oiled and the shell was given a coat of carnauba wax. I think it was made around 1966. Still have a floor tom and a BD to do.....

jccabinets 11-25-2019 09:16 PM

Re: Showing off my freshly detailed Powertone

Wow, stunning!

amosguy 11-25-2019 09:29 PM

Worth the labor, obviously.

Nicely done.

idrum4fun 11-25-2019 10:22 PM

Fantastic restoration! I've got the Tower snare drum, which is basically the same and converted it to a Powertone with a Swivo strainer and butt. The Tower has flat grey paint vs the gloss grey in the Powertone. I wonder if there's really a difference in sound! My drum is also a 1966 and in blue sparkle.

-Mark

grantro 11-26-2019 01:38 AM

Great work!!

Cheers

kdg 11-26-2019 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idrum4fun (Post 454555)
Fantastic restoration! I've got the Tower snare drum, which is basically the same and converted it to a Powertone with a Swivo strainer and butt. The Tower has flat grey paint vs the gloss grey in the Powertone. I wonder if there's really a difference in sound! My drum is also a 1966 and in blue sparkle.

-Mark

I never knew that about the flat Tower vs gloss Powertone grey paint. Very interesting!
Thanks Mark!

And thanks to everyone for their comments, as I am going to need that inspiration to continue with the rest of the set!

-Kurt

idrum4fun 11-26-2019 11:30 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kdg (Post 454569)
I never knew that about the flat Tower vs gloss Powertone grey paint. Very interesting!
Thanks Mark!

And thanks to everyone for their comments, as I am going to need that inspiration to continue with the rest of the set!

-Kurt

Hi Kurt!

Yes, the Powertone snare drums used gloss paint on the interior, while Tower and Luxor snare drums had flat grey. Maybe it was thought that a glossy interior, vs flat, gave a bit more resonance? Hard to say, really!

Attached is my Tower-to-Powertone snare drum. You can clearly see the flat grey interior. I also posted pictures of the custom adaptor so I could attach a Swivo die-cast butt to the existing holes for the stamped steel butt. Honestly, this snare drum is the best sounding off all my vintage snare drums! I also use it exclusively with my 1966 Headliner kit! I have a 1966 COB 7-line Dynasonic that also goes with the kit, but I prefer the Tower-Powertone snare!

-Mark

kdg 11-26-2019 08:16 PM

Very cool, Mark!!
My set is 20-16-12, but my BD has no mount for a ride.
I believe it is a "Citadel" model. It took me awhile to gather all the period correct stands, but now it is complete and is a pleasure to play.
Did you figure out the adapter plate fix or was that commercially available? Either way, amazing! I hate to see needless extra holes.

idrum4fun 11-26-2019 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdg (Post 454614)
Very cool, Mark!!
My set is 20-16-12, but my BD has no mount for a ride.
I believe it is a "Citadel" model. It took me awhile to gather all the period correct stands, but now it is complete and is a pleasure to play.
Did you figure out the adapter plate fix or was that commercially available? Either way, amazing! I hate to see needless extra holes.

Thanks for the compliments on my kit! Yes, the same sizes as yours, but with the Knobby cymbal mount. And, yes, a real pleasure to play!

As to the adapter plate, it's a custom piece made for me by a friend who owns a custom metal fabrication shop. He went above and beyond with what I expected! And, I also hate having extra holes!

Enjoy your kit. I'm sure the other drums will come out just a nice as your snare drum!

-Mark

Drumwhacker 11-28-2019 02:39 PM

Nice, Looks great!