Vintage Drum Forum

Vintage Drum Forum (http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/index.php)
-   Vintage Drums (http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   This is the Display Your Slingerland Drums Thread (http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=52540)

idrum4fun 10-28-2020 08:12 AM

Re: This is the Display Your Slingerland Drums Thread

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by slingerfan (Post 464532)
Mark, on the BDP Artist, is the badge not centered top to bottom in it's panel or is that a photographic illusion? Also, how did you arrive at a '66 date? Is there a date stamp? Interior looks like it has beige stain maybe, which is possible for late '66. Thanks.

Hi slingerfan!

Yes, the position of the badge is a photographic illusion! It's just the angle I took the photo! In regards to the date, here's a picture of the date stamp...OCT66

I was really hoping for a clear maple interior, but, as you've noted, the late '66 manufacturing of this shell shows this to be around the time of the infamous "chocolate milk" interior paint!

-Mark

idrum4fun 10-28-2020 08:19 AM

MarkD!

Another great Barrett story! Thanks so much for sharing these!

-Mark

idrum4fun 10-28-2020 08:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the date stamp for the Deluxe Student snare drum...OCT64...plus the "P" stamp to indicate a pearl wrapped finish.

-Mark

slingerfan 10-28-2020 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idrum4fun (Post 464540)
Hi slingerfan!

Yes, the position of the badge is a photographic illusion! It's just the angle I took the photo! In regards to the date, here's a picture of the date stamp...OCT66

I was really hoping for a clear maple interior, but, as you've noted, the late '66 manufacturing of this shell shows this to be around the time of the infamous "chocolate milk" interior paint!

-Mark

Cool, thanks Mark. Per Dr. Wenk, Oct. '66 is exactly when the "chocolate milk" interiors started. Do you have a serial number for this one? In the 100,000 - 120,000 range would be expected.

O-Lugs 10-28-2020 02:09 PM

I have nothing against Slingerland drums, but I've only had limited experience with them. The main things I like about them are the sticksaver (shaver) rims....the chocolate milk painted interiors....and "The Jet" kit they had for awhile....now as rare as hen's teeth! I always appreciate the things that made each brand unique and instantly recognizable. And I always felt the two main competitors of the Big Four drum manufacturers were Ludwig and Slingerland. They were clearly the bigger two companies and just always seemed to be kind of having a go at each other.

idrum4fun 10-28-2020 03:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by slingerfan (Post 464546)
Cool, thanks Mark. Per Dr. Wenk, Oct. '66 is exactly when the "chocolate milk" interiors started. Do you have a serial number for this one? In the 100,000 - 120,000 range would be expected.

You're very close with the expected serial number! It's 125558. See attached picture!

-Mark

slingerfan 10-28-2020 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idrum4fun (Post 464550)
You're very close with the expected serial number! It's 125558. See attached picture!

-Mark

Thanks again Mark. I need more late '66 examples but 125xxx looks good. No signs of badge/grommet tampering?

idrum4fun 10-28-2020 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slingerfan (Post 464554)
Thanks again Mark. I need more late '66 examples but 125xxx looks good. No signs of badge/grommet tampering?

slingerfan! The badge and grommet are original with no signs of any tampering! The inside of the shell, around the grommet, shows typical wood splintering, most likely from the way the hole was drilled. It's a very common issue and I'm sure you've seen it as well.

-Mark

mayan 01-17-2021 06:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Spitfire snare collection. Top 4 are all COB, bottom row 5-ply shells. All with the TDR strainer, except the natural maple on the bottom left, which has a slapshot strainer.