Vintage Drum Forum

Vintage Drum Forum (http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/index.php)
-   Vintage Non-USA drums (http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Sonor Teardrop (http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=66056)

johnnyringo 05-20-2020 03:46 PM

Sonor Teardrop

2 Attachment(s)
What do you guys think of this finish?

O-Lugs 05-20-2020 04:08 PM

Re: Sonor Teardrop

badly faded is what I think.

grantro 05-20-2020 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O-Lugs (Post 460556)
badly faded is what I think.

Possibly...If faded, the wrap has achieved it evenly...At least, to my eyes anyways...

Cheers

johnnyringo 05-20-2020 09:37 PM

It's an unusual finish, but I kinda like it.

skapunk_edge 05-22-2020 10:49 AM

Awesome kit! I have been in love with the old Teardrops since I got my first set a few years back. Original finish and actually looks good. I believe these are earlier teardrops that were 3 ply and more fragile then the later 60's early 70's 6ply that are a bit more desirable but should be great drums regardless. If you don't snag em let me know where they are hanging out so I can have a look! lol

O-Lugs 05-22-2020 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grantro (Post 460561)
Possibly...If faded, the wrap has achieved it evenly...At least, to my eyes anyways...

Cheers

Could be the lighting then. But it appears that the wrap on the bass drum hoop is several shades lighter than the drum wrap. I've never seen this color before. Is there a name for the color? If so, then maybe there is a color reference somewhere that could be used to determine if it's faded or the lighting...or my old eyes! :) I can't tell if it's in the green or tan range. Maybe some more pics would help me...

johnnyringo 05-22-2020 02:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I believe it's called Krystal Schwarz, here's a kit in the same finish.

jmcohen 05-23-2020 04:40 PM

I believe it’s referred to as TV wrap, because it resembles the horizontal lines of an old CRT television. Don’t think that was the official name for it, though.

Olimpass 05-23-2020 06:17 PM

They call those tear drop? Looks more like a tiger tooth to me.
I’m no expert. Just saying. I like that finish better than Krystal Schwartz...lol.

Magnus_N 05-24-2020 02:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The finish is called Kristall (in the German 1963 Sonor catalog). Originally, it has been silver and black stripes. With age, it fades like this, resulting in a greenish-gold look.

My guess is that this kit is not a 3 ply. The tom mount suggests to me that it is a later design, but Oddball will now when he sees this. This link may be helpful in dating the kit.

I have a ca 1958 3-ply early teardrop kit in this finish. I've had people comment on it saying that this is the most beautiful drum kit they've ever seen. The finish looks much better IRL than in my lousy picture.

/Magnus