Vintage Drum Forum

Vintage Drum Forum (https://www.vintagedrumforum.com/index.php)
-   DRUM IMAGE GALLERY (https://www.vintagedrumforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   1972 Fibes COF (https://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=61390)

Tommyp 01-11-2018 10:30 AM

1972 Fibes COF

1 Attachment(s)
Just did a Sinatra/Nat King Cole Show this past weekend and was able to grab some pics after sound check of my 1972 Fibes COF's. These are my "smaller" Fibes COF compared to my Fibes Buddy Rich COF's. That said, here are the particulars:

14X20
8X12
14X16 ( rare! )
16X16
5X14 1967/68 1st 10 lug prototype with the prototype throw and 2nd butt

These drums play/sound much LARGER than their physical size ... and with that incredible Fibes sensitivity/projection. So many say that Fibes are LOUD, but that's not entirely true! They can be of course .. but .. set up/tensioned with some care, they can be played from a whisper to a roar! I have done jazz trios with these! Hope you might ENJOY!

Tommyp

Tommyp 01-11-2018 10:33 AM

Re: 1972 Fibes COF

2 Attachment(s)
... and a couple more views from different angles ... :)

Tommyp

mchair303 01-11-2018 02:12 PM

Tommy,

Those are just gorgeous! Nice to see you still use your Rogers cymbal stands and high hat with those. I've played on that stage and found it difficult to read the music without a lighted music stand. I assume that's just your play list sitting on the floor down below the high hat.

And your matching canister throne is the cherry on top of the sundae!

Mike

Tommyp 01-11-2018 04:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mchair303 (Post 425361)
Tommy,

Those are just gorgeous! Nice to see you still use your Rogers cymbal stands and high hat with those. I've played on that stage and found it difficult to read the music without a lighted music stand. I assume that's just your play list sitting on the floor down below the high hat.

And your matching canister throne is the cherry on top of the sundae!

Mike

Hey Mike!

... and if you've played The Infinity/Hartford, then you KNOW what an incredible venue it is, both acoustically and aesthetically! This was our fourth time in with the Sinatra Show in the Hartford location, plus two in the Norfolk location. We've done well for them, and of course a pleasure to play on our end too! What group did you play the Infinity with? Regarding charts/lights: The show is well rehearsed, thus I don't need charts anymore .. which is a good thing! .. so yeah, that was the play list with vocal and light cues. This time we had an added element and included a tribute to Natalie Cole and Nat King Cole. The incredibly talented Gina Palmieri did the duet with John. I'll attach a pic that Gina wanted to take as she happened to wear a "chrome" dress which matched the Fibes. She got such a kick out of that! I did NOT want to be in the picture, but she insisted. Who was I to argue?! :) Regarding the Rogers hardware:

I have full sets of Rogers hardware with all my sets Mike! Era correct for both the Rogers and Fibes drums .. and .. they are perfect in function! Seeing as I have played Rogers for the past 17 years, I am most comfortable with their hardware ... including the Swivo-Matic of course! I've got Swivo mounting plates on all my sets! :) Glad you enjoyed the Fibes canister throne! That is the latest addition. Had that since May of last year! THANKS for the comments Mike!

Tommyp

mchair303 01-11-2018 06:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tommy,

Nice pic! And you didn't want to be in the photo with Gina??? Okay, here you go (thanks to Photoshop)....

Attachment 115628

Now why didn't you put her behind the set on that chrome throne with a pair of sticks in her hand? Now that would have been a promo picture for Fibes!

And you're right about the acoustics of that venue. I played an all-patriotic, veteran's benefit concert there a couple years ago with the 30 piece GFG concert band. All acoustic, no mic's needed. We filled that place with sound.

Since you're the only Fibes player I know, let me know if you want an original Fibes Cym-Set. I acquired it a few years ago with a bundle of vintage hardware, and I have no use for it (I think it kills the ring of the ride bell). I'll drop it in the mail if you want it.

Mike

Tommyp 01-11-2018 07:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mchair303 (Post 425372)
Tommy,

Nice pic! And you didn't want to be in the photo with Gina??? Okay, here you go (thanks to Photoshop)....

Now why didn't you put her behind the set on that chrome throne with a pair of sticks in her hand? Now that would have been a promo picture for Fibes!

And you're right about the acoustics of that venue. I played an all-patriotic, veteran's benefit concert there a couple years ago with the 30 piece GFG concert band. All acoustic, no mic's needed. We filled that place with sound.

Since you're the only Fibes player I know, let me know if you want an original Fibes Cym-Set. I acquired it a few years ago with a bundle of vintage hardware, and I have no use for it (I think it kills the ring of the ride bell). I'll drop it in the mail if you want it.

Mike

Nah ... you didn't need to PhotoShop Mike, as I already had a pic of JUST Gina and the Fibes that I took myself!, at her request I might add. :) I said no need for me to be in the pic as why RUIN it?! :) She just laughed and said get over here! As I mentioned, who was I to disappoint her??!! :) I will attach said pic for your enjoyment, and again .. as is .. no PhotoShop. Course the bass player was in the background, but it mattered not ... it's the main subject that is of interest here, and I don't mean the Fibes! :) Truth be told, I have worked with Gina many times, and she really LOVES those Fibes. I want to add that in addition to being quite easy on the eyes, she brings it vocally. She is an absolutely incredible singer! Having her sit behind the drums was actually an option Mike! .. but .. the length of her dress kinda put that idea out to pasture, if you know what I mean. Not that ANY of us were complainin' you understand! :) THANKS for the offer on the Fibes Cym-Set Mike! I'll give you a call on that, I mean jeeze ... we are in pretty close proximity to each other, as it were. Always appreciate your commentary Mike! BEST!!!

Tommyp

idrum4fun 01-11-2018 08:13 PM

Tommyp!! I'm just lovin' all of this! Thanks for posting!

-Mark

Tommyp 01-11-2018 09:06 PM

[QUOTE=idrum4fun;425381]Tommyp!! I'm just lovin' all of this! Thanks for posting!

-Mark-

Hey Mark!

Indeed! ... 'tis all in fun! Course all that stuff actually did happen ... and somewhere in all of that was the actual gig/show! :) THANKS for commenting Mark!, and glad you enjoyed!

Tommyp

Dan Boucher 01-14-2018 01:45 AM

I didn't realize you had captured all those differing sizes in Fibes. Very nice. About time to load another video of the performance????

Tommyp 01-14-2018 10:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Boucher (Post 425497)
I didn't realize you had captured all those differing sizes in Fibes. Very nice. About time to load another video of the performance????

Hey Dan!

Indeed ... this set of 1972 Fibes COF's popped up like a Crocus out of the snow! Funny thing was, after gigging the 67/68 Fibes Buddy Rich's for almost two years .. and loving them! .. I was saying wouldn't it be neat if I could find a set of early 70's Fibes in smaller sizes for all the trio/quartet's I work with as well as the Sinatra Show. BANG! They they were! Not on eBay or Reverb, rather a guy trading them towards something newer, and I happened to see them right after they came in. They weren't even gone through or cleaned, etc. yet. The sizes were perfect! .. and .. imagine my surprise when I opened 'em up to clean/rehead, etc ... I've never seen shells finished this way. These are Fibes/CFMartin, so you would expect black interiors and uniform fasteners .. but .. these have black interiors and white re rings! Now, the black is just paint of course, and the fiberglass is actually white, so ... these were finished "special", although I don't know why. Better yet is the bearing edges and spring steel chrome wrap .. which usually looks like they were cut and trimmed by hand with a pair of tin snips! .. are PRISTINE! Hmmmmm. Well, these tuned up instantly and with an incredibly pure tone, plus everything else you expect with a fiberglass shell. I was blown away. I have been playing/gigging these since last March when I acquired them, including the Sinatra Show. They sound great!, and absolutely perfect with trios and quartets too. My Fibes Buddy Rich's are set up in my drum studio, thus they get played just about every day! I'll attach a pic I just received from the last Sinatra Show .. and .. a pic of one of the interiors ..

... regarding video: Turns out that about four tunes were recorded! So ... once I get the mp4's, I'll be able to post something up. THANKS for the comments Dan!

Tommyp