PDA

View Full Version : Felt inside lugs?

fatty
11-24-2011, 05:55 PM
I am going through a late 50's Slingerland Krupa kit, polishing the wraps and hardware and there is no felt inside the lugs. Do I need to get some and put it in there or was there never felt inside them to begin with? Do only certain kind of drums/lugs have felt or need felt?

Purdie Shuffle
11-24-2011, 06:33 PM
If it got a spring inside... it needs damping/felt. If they don't have it, add it. Just don't use cotton balls. They're a mess to clean-out after they break down inside the lug.

Felt is recommended for any kind of spring-loaded lug casing. Kills the damn rattle.

John

fatty
11-24-2011, 06:57 PM
ok, I'll get some, how do you put it in? just cut a chunk and stuff it in there?

Purdie Shuffle
11-24-2011, 07:24 PM
Pull out the spring. Cut a small rectangle large enough to cover the inside-front part of the lug where the spring touches. Replace spring. Done.

John

fatty
11-24-2011, 08:52 PM
ok thank youCool1

thin shell
11-24-2011, 09:34 PM
cotton balls work fine. They don't break down in the lugs, the foam rubber that they used in the 60's and 70's is what breaks down.

Purdie Shuffle
11-24-2011, 10:19 PM
I beg to differ... If you're going to use cotton balls they have to be synthetic. Real cotton holds moisture! After some years they rot inside the casings and it's a bee-atch to clean them up. Felt is fine and it will last decades.

Thin shell - do a little research. Real cotton will eventually break down from moisture absorption and gunk up the interiors of the casings. I offered him a safe alternative to cotton which is problematic. Yes, a ton of guys use them, but because a lot of people are making a mistake, still doesn't make the practice right.

John

thin shell
11-25-2011, 07:43 AM
John, I am not going to bite. Your are just being a troll. I have used cotton balls for years and have had no problems that you describe. Felt is made of wool, or cotton or synthetic and will hold moisture no different than cotton balls. The foam on the other hand breaks down and turns into a sticky mess. I believe you are inaccurately remembering a post that J R Frondelli made regarding the foam breaking down and regurgitating it as your own "wisdom" .

billygoodtime
11-25-2011, 07:48 AM
I beg to differ... If you're going to use cotton balls they have to be synthetic. Real cotton holds moisture! After some years they rot inside the casings and it's a bee-atch to clean them up. Felt is fine and it will last decades.

Thin shell - do a little research. Real cotton will eventually break down from moisture absorption and gunk up the interiors of the casings. I offered him a safe alternative to cotton which is problematic. Yes, a ton of guys use them, but because a lot of people are making a mistake, still doesn't make the practice right.

John

Right on John, DO NOT use regular cotton balls. There's a reason they used felt in the first place.

What I found is easy is to use a paper cutter and cut strips and then cut them to the lug lengths and stick them in behind the spring.

Just as a question point, I'm not sure as to when the they started to put felt in and maybe more specifically was there a rule as to which models they put felt in?

BGT

Purdie Shuffle
11-25-2011, 11:59 AM
John, I am not going to bite. Your are just being a troll. I have used cotton balls for years and have had no problems that you describe. Felt is made of wool, or cotton or synthetic and will hold moisture no different than cotton balls. The foam on the other hand breaks down and turns into a sticky mess. I believe you are inaccurately remembering a post that J R Frondelli made regarding the foam breaking down and regurgitating it as your own "wisdom" .

Geez, what crawled up your butt? I'm just trying to help the guy out. So much anger and hostility in your post towards me. I don't know you so I have no idea where it is coming from, but this isn't the place for it.

Save it for your therapy sessions. I'm not here to be your therapist or punching bag. I hope you resolve whatever personal issues are causing you to be so rancorous with a complete stranger.

Is there a target on my back?

BTW, cotton balls -will- break down and gunk up the casings, and as much as I love and respect JR, I know that from experience.

PEACE

John

billygoodtime
11-25-2011, 01:48 PM
Geez, what crawled up your butt? I'm just trying to help the guy out. So much anger and hostility in your post towards me. I don't know you so I have no idea where it is coming from, but this isn't the place for it.

Save it for your therapy sessions. I'm not here to be your therapist or punching bag. I hope you resolve whatever personal issues are causing you to be so rancorous with a complete stranger.

Is there a target on my back?

BTW, cotton balls -will- break down and gunk up the casings, and as much as I love and respect JR, I know that from experience.

PEACE

John
AMEN John!!!!!!! It is amazing how some people react when you're doing them a favor or just even trying to do them a favor.

Pax Vobiscum

BGT

Purdie Shuffle
11-25-2011, 02:04 PM
AMEN John!!!!!!! It is amazing how some people react when you're doing them a favor or just even trying to do them a favor.

Pax Vobiscum

BGT

Billy - Damn! So much 'drama' for a vintage drum website! If participating in a vintage drum site is like a Madison Square Garden Cage Match, then those macrame' and antique collector websites must host some real dog-fights! LOL

Personal note: I learn something new here every day. I love the guys and the flow of information and just plain, drum-talk. What I bring to the table is 50 years of experience as a drummer, the (former) owner/operator of a music store and as a long-time restorer of old drums. I hope I never come off as a 'know-it-all' or like my head is up my own keister. It is not my intention. I'm 62, for me it's a simple matter of passing along whatever I can of the things I have learned along the way. Just trying to contribute what I can to the respectable body of knowledge that this website represents. I hope people take my contributions in the spirit of sharing with which they are given.

John

hawghunter
11-25-2011, 10:03 PM
These lug springs(1st pic) came from a set of 1952 Radio Kings. Looks like they wrapped the springs with "mouse pelts"! Laughing H I get the red felt at Wal mart in the craft section. It is real cheap.

tiredofdrummerjokes
11-25-2011, 10:50 PM
I love the holidays, everyone's so cheerful!

Purdie Shuffle
11-25-2011, 11:19 PM
I love the holidays, everyone's so cheerful!

Tis the season! lol

John

fatty
11-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Well, I bought some heavy felt but I didn't wrap them al the way around like in one of the pics above, I just cut a chunk to go between the spring and casing and a chunk to go between the spring and drum shell, I hope that works ok?? I never realized how many hours were involved in tearing a drum down and polishing everything up, reassembling, etc, geez louise!!

jaghog
11-26-2011, 03:15 PM
i see said the blind man hmmmm

salty 1322
11-26-2011, 03:57 PM
In my opinion, John is one of the most literate, erudite, knowledgeable and succinct members the VDF has the honour to count as a member! Not only is John bright but, he is a very generous gentleman. Months ago, I asked on a post if anyone had a vintage Star marching drum key holder for sale. John wrote to me stating that he had one that would fit but, it was a Ludwig from the forties, not a Star.I jumped! Wow! A vintage Ludwig to class up my kit! I inquired about the price and the shipping. John refused a penny! He shipped it to me up here the next day! On several occassions, I have asked John his opinion on something. Not only has he helped immensely but,if he couldn't supply an answer, he referred me to someone who could! We are bloody lucky to have this man as a member! You're the BEST, John!!!
Brian

Purdie Shuffle
11-26-2011, 06:15 PM
On behalf of all the members of the Academy, we accept this award!

Geez, what do you say to something like that other than thank you for your very kind words. Embarrassing, but, very kind! <grin. Kiss

(Compared to being called a "troll" I'll take your compliment any day of the week and twice on Friday!)

John

vyacheslav
11-26-2011, 08:53 PM
I have used cotton balls to "stuff" the lugs with springs in them. As far as using felt, I always thought that the spring had to be surrounded by felt, cotton, whatever in order to eliminate the rattle. Will simply lining the the lug with felt, even if if doesn't touch the spring, completely eliminate the rattle?

grantro
11-26-2011, 09:03 PM
I`ve always just cut a piece of felt long and wide enough to fit around the entire spring...It`s almost like rolling a cigarette!! When installed in the lug casing, all sides of the spring are covered...This process has always worked for me...

Cheers

Purdie Shuffle
11-26-2011, 09:15 PM
I`ve always just cut a piece of felt long and wide enough to fit around the entire spring...It`s almost like rolling a cigarette!! When installed in the lug casing, all sides of the spring are covered...This process has always worked for me...

Cheers

+1 Always better safe than sorry. You need just enough to eliminate any metal to metal contact, but wrapping the spring insures it.

John

Jon Petersen
11-27-2011, 05:22 PM
Felt is wool, and doesnīt absorb moisture like cotton.

Anyone who has been out in rainy weather with both a woolen and a cotton jacket will know that.

I have always used toilet paper on the cheap MIJ kits, I have had spring sounds from, but from now on, I will use felt.

Then again, I donīt think the moisture problem is too important - I keep my drums in dry surroundings. But better safe than sorry!

Regards

Jon

Purdie Shuffle
11-27-2011, 05:42 PM
I'm in the north-east, Jon. Cold winters, damp basements etc. I've seen a few cotton ball disasters in my time. It's a royal PITA to clean that crap out of the casings when it breaks down. As you say, better safe than sorry!

John

jaghog
11-27-2011, 07:41 PM
thats why the armed forces issue wool socks they are moisture resistant